- Equipment Maintenance
- Serves as a lead mechanical artisan on repairing, installing, replacing and testing mechanical circuits, equipment, and appliances.
- Diagnoses and performs complex mechanical maintenance and repairs on a variety of mechanical equipment (Process, Packaging, and Palletizing)
- Supports the site Utilities maintenance team with mechanical work.
- Performs mechanical preventative maintenance inspections and repairs on a variety of mechanical equipment.
- Provides troubleshooting and demand maintenance work on a variety of equipment and systems along with other equipment related to production and facility operations.
- Collaborates with Fitter and Fitter & Turner to troubleshoot analog/digital hardware problems on various systems.
- Conducts tests to troubleshoot and test gearboxes, pumps, drives, valves, hydraulics, pneumatics and other mechanical devices for defects.
- Reviews and updates equipment maintenance schedule requests and specification changes through Reliability engineer.
- Diagnoses and corrects mechanical systems and equipment malfunctions; test, adjust, sequence, synchronize and align such systems and equipment as hydraulic, pneumatic actuators, reducing valves, geared motors/pumps, generators and valves.
- Spares review – complete new spares requests in line with Special purchase requests raised during Planned Maintenance and Shutdown work.
- Participates in problem solving for complex mechanical engineering processes and mechanical work with manufacturing departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers.
- Interface with Control System Specialist and Mechanical Specialist for equipment specification and product/process flow optimisation.
- Reporting and Document Control
- Generates reports on equipment failures, modification requests, and specification changes.
- Document control – updates and reviews equipment manuals and standards.
- Reports weekly/monthly on work done, time spent on each assignment, spares used, resources employed, etc
- Continuous reference to equipment drawings, engineering standards and GMPs in the performance and closing out of jobs done.
- Continuous Improvement
- Completes equipment modifications requests including Specifications and drawing proposals.
- Complete continuous improvement initiatives to support equipment reliability, IPS and food safety agenda with support from Reliability Engineer.
- Tracks and documents CI improvement initiatives executed and process improvement challenges when they arise
- Ensures that scheduled maintenance in terms of Engineering plans is conducted as prescribed following defined protocols and compliance to GMPs
- Ensures that machined spares are available as and when required and shall schedule time to execute this one
- Completes job cards and parts requisition documents timeously to improve on mean time to repair thus ensuring high plant availability
- People Development
- Responsible for on the job induction of new artisans in the business (taking them through maintenance standards, philosophy, equipment designs and drawings, ways of work, hierarchies and rules)
- Facilitates and coaches artisans on PIP
- Ensures that proper guidance is given, training, competency assessments using portfolios of evidence and sign offs are done for new apprentices until they are fully qualified.
- Supports FLMs in the development of the Technicians/Operators on baseline technical skills to be capable of completing First Line Equipment Maintenance.
- Development and review of electricians Skills Matrix.
- Ensures that/leads capability FLMs and Technician are capable of performing basic first line maintenance fundamentals to improve plant performance.
- People Leadership
- Takes corrective action in instances of performance deviations
- Leads the integration of new artisans and apprentices in the engineering team
- Completes documentation or signs off new artisans as ready for working on their own
- Independence of Execution
- Set-up and lead problem solving sessions with shift Fitters/Fitter & Turner.
- Complete key equipment repairs and breakdown support on critical equipment.
- Assist shift teams with troubleshooting.
- Complete equipment modifications motivation for approval.
- Review with the Maintenance Planner schedules based on equipment performance.
- Driving the completion of IPS/Starfleet action plan.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the methods, tools, and equipment used in the repair of mechanical and process equipment to include procedures for diagnosing malfunctions as well as the operation of equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of current and accepted occupational safety and health practices and principles to include safety and equipment design regulations.
- The person should be a self-starter with innovative technical abilities.
- The person has to have analytical abilities to resolve mechanical plant breakdowns with permanent solutions.
- The endurance level of this individual has to be above average because of long hours and sometimes-physical activities.
- Ability to work shifts
- The person must be a team player with ability to communicate precisely and engage different stakeholders.
- Qualified/trade tested electrician.
- N6 mechanical engineering qualification.
- Minimum 5 years maintenance experience in the FMCG environment.
- Computer literate with knowledge of MS Office and maintenance software (CMMS Systems -SAP/On Key/JD Edwards etc).
“PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer in line with the Employment Equity Act”
Relocation Eligible: Not Applicable
Job Type: Pipeline